Vlogging and sharing vlogs on video sharing platform has seen a lot of attraction in recent times. Before you begin your vlogging journey, there are some must-haves that you should know. Bouncing right into creating content will be a major blunder, so don’t just flow into it and get to understand what you will require first.
For your help, we have gathered a precise list of all the essential gear that you will need to kick start your vlogging journey or that you will require to make your vlogging experience more smooth and more organized.
Vlogging Essentials For Beginners
- Editing software
Vlogging Essential #1: Camera
The camera has to be your first necessity. The essence of a good vlog is the rate of the camera, whether the video is unrestricted of lags and is steady.
It makes the viewers feel relaxed watching your vlogs. Before you get a camera, select what kind of vlogs you will be making. Your decision depends upon that laboriously because if you’re heading to be a travel vlogger, there will be lots of travelling. You should then go for a smaller, portable yet strong camera. If you decide to do more sports-related stuff, you should head for an action camera.
However, if you’re going for simple routine vlogging, you can do that with your smartphone. You don’t need to purchase cameras with a good quality built-in microphone because you can externally secure better microphones. Still, if you can see one with a good quality internal microphone, that’s a bonus.
What is a good camera for Vlogging?
If you are glimpsing to boost from a phone setup to a camera setup, you’ll manage to see better stabilization, autofocus and good video quality. Some specs you should seek out in the best cameras for vlogging are:
- Camera resolution. You certainly want to find a 1080p or 4k resolution, especially since technology quickly moves.
- Zoom capabilities. If you’re recording yourself, a wide zoom might not be required. However, if you keep a great background, you want to show off or get up near individual objects, and you want to make sure the camera can catch all of it.
- Autofocus: most cameras nowadays have excellent autofocus abilities. You always want to double-check to ensure the camera you get can efficiently focus on your face while talking and moving.
Vlogging Essential #2: Microphone
The second most essential part of the equipment is the microphone. You need a suitable microphone to record your voice clearly and as a clear voice counts a lot in vlogging, you must make certain you choose the right one.
There are a few specialities you should look for when choosing a microphone for vlogging:
- First, you need to make sure the microphone is directional. This means it will choose up sound from the path it’s pointing and not from all around the room. This is important because it will enable you to decrease background noise in your vlogs.
- Second, you need to make sure the microphone is sharp enough to pick up your voice. This is particularly important if you’re vlogging outdoors or in a loud environment.
- Finally, you need to make sure the microphone is stable and easy to use. This way, you can focus on vlogging without bothering about your equipment. With these factors in mind, you’ll be able to select an excellent microphone for vlogging. If a microphone has these three grades, it’s the one for you.
Vlogging Essential #3: Lighting
As essential as it is to have good quality audio and video, you must also focus on the lighting to acquire the utmost video quality. Whenever you decide to shoot vlogs, it sets your scene, sets your mood, and engages your viewers. Correct lighting shows the purpose behind your video. If the lighting is poor, no matter how expensive and good quality camera you’re using, it will never give you an outstanding result. Lighting is the main source behind achieving the desired aesthetic. You’re doing nothing if you’re not investing and focusing on lighting.
To accomplish that brilliance, you will require to support in worthy lighting equipment, mainly if you shoot indoors or at night. If you are a day recorder, you can harness the evergreen light source; sunlight. If you’re shooting indoors but in the daytime, your best option would be to use the sunlight coming through your windows and pair it with some shades or extra lighting.
Vlogging Essential #4: Tripod
Tripods are one of the essential equipment needed for vlogging. Using a tripod for your videos has made your life easier. You don’t have to deal with the frustration of shaky pictures and videos. Another advantage of utilizing a tripod is that you don’t need a cameraperson to help you record your videos. It is a must-have for solo vloggers especially.
Again, there are plenty of tripod categories available to you. You can get a handheld tripod, a tabletop tripod, or professional tripods. The kind of tripod that you should get relies on your use. It will be wiser to get a small, easily portable tripod with a carrying case, preferably a handheld tripod or a travel tripod if you travel a lot. They are lightweight and easy to carry while giving you full functionality, so they’re absolutely the best.
Can you use your phone for vlogging?
As phone technology continues to improve, this question gets asked more often. The answer: absolutely, you can use your phone for your vlogs to upload on the video-sharing platform. One thing to keep in mind is the microphone and quality of the video. Most phones can shoot at 4K, which is incredible, but the built-in microphone could have an echo and may not be clear.
If you plan to shoot with your phone, we strongly recommend an external microphone. The downside of recording with your phone is that you won’t be able to see what you’re recording, as the screen will not be facing you unless you purchase extra equipment for vlogging.